Friday, February 17, 2017

Week 2

Hello world! Kayvon Gorji here with today’s top story, my third blog post. No but really we made it to week 2 guys. 



*Commence the silent applause* 

So this week was particularly eventful because in addition to learning how downtown and uptown subways work, I figured out my volunteer opportunity at 5th st. farm. This began on Monday at around 8 in the morning where the parent leader for the rooftop garden, Frances Anderson, introduced me to the garden, how the after school programs work, and what kind of plants I will be working with in February, March, and April. Although I am currently waiting on my schedule for this opportunity, it got me thinking about what kind of metrics I could use to test how exactly STEM education is “affected.” What I realized is that I will study if/if not after school programs (related to earth science classes) are attended and by how many students. And I will use other popular programs as a benchmark to test this hypothesis. 

Beyond this senior project stuff, though, this week was filled with a lot of work projects and QA testing. From Tuesday to Friday, I spent my time at BlocPower doing a couple things related to this. I worked on figuring out how to integrate BlocPower’s wiki page with Slack (a common start up and company application used for basic communication) so that there would at least be an easily accessible database for engineers, marketers, and other upper-level management people to peruse and share. I also worked on developing our very first test plan for the new website on staging (BlocPower Buildings). For all of you people who don’t know what staging is (as I did not a few days ago), this is simply in reference to when a technology department makes an application or a piece of software in development actually accessible to users online. Also as a side note, BlocPower Buildings is simply a website that allows all buildings that have been retrofitted to be stored on one coherent site. So anyway what I did was I essentially created a set of guidelines to test if this new site had any bugs (or lapses in code). I did this, for example, on the login page where I wrote: “Verify if a non-BlocPower email is used, that a user is unable to sign in.” This plan was actually tested and passed (yay) today which means that the site is good to go to be used. 


I realize a lot of terminology here was a bit hectic and scattered and scary so bear with me. Please if you have questions don’t hesitate to ask in the comment section and I look forward to sharing more of this awesome project/tech stuff with all of you soon. 


23 comments:

  1. Hey Kayvon! You've had such an interesting week full of newness. I can't wait to hear what happens during week 3! It's really cool how you are learning all these new terms and programs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dani! I too am glad I have had the opportunity to experience such newness. Hopefully I continue to gain advice from my colleagues at work so that I can report on new terms and findings!

      Delete
  2. Hello! That's interesting that you got to help the company set up their communications and do some QA testing. I was wondering why you will be looking at earth science classes specifically, and not other classes? Is it just a preference or does it have some significance to your results? Anyway, looking forward to next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jackson! I'm glad you find my QA work interesting. To address your question, I will be looking at earth science classes because typically rooftop garden courses are taught at elementary levels where basic science is common. It's simply the level that is taught so I guess one could call it a preference for this study. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kayvon! It's cool you are learning new things and finally going to start to volunteer at the 5th st. Farm, but what are you actually going to do there? I hope you continue your good gifs and great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Oscar. So I will be participating in their after school program (which I realize is vague, but it should become more transparent in the coming days) where I will teach elementary students on botany and basic science. Thanks, and I will be sure to continue with the gifs and the work!

      Delete
  4. Hi Kayvon! Sounds like you had a busy week in New York. I loved your bear pun at the end of the post. Good luck in your upcoming weeks with BlocPower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Marvin. Was looking back and realized the bear pun was unintentional but appreciate the props. Will be sure to continue diligently with my work at BlocPower.

      Delete
  5. Hi Kayvon! Wow, it sounds like you've had quite a busy week. I'm happy to know that you have become even more familiar with the company.. I can't wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Frida! It has been pretty busy but it's been a productive and stress-free busy so I am glad. I will be sure to continue to familiarize myself with BlocPower and keep you updated in the blog. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Hey Kayvon! Seems like you're finally done adjusting to New York. It's interesting how you've decided to link 5th St. Farm with STEM education. It's cool to see how much you've learned in such little time. I wish you luck in your future endeavours.

    P.S. I noticed the bare/bear pun and I really enjoy the Office and Workaholics GIFs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kirill! I'm glad that you find my involvement with 5th St. Farm interesting and I will be sure to pass on any knowledge I gain from my experiences there and at BlocPower with everyone following the blog. Haha and the bear pun was by accident but I am glad you found that and the gifs amusing.

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear about your progress Kayvon! Will you be planning different transportation methods during your work, possibly related to subway lines or busing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ahmad! So I will mainly be using the subways just because that has been easiest from where I am currently staying. I may try busing but I think that will be after I acclimate myself to the seemingly endless subway lines. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Hey there Kayvon! What were the results of your QA testing, and how did they affect the project as a whole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michael! The results of the QA testing were that the tech team at BlocPower could roll out their new software into production. In terms of how it affected the project as a whole I think there has been some confusion which I should address. What I am doing at BlocPower is technological and has nothing to do with the project. With that said, I have also been able to conduct some basic research on BuildHealth (a BlocPower initiative) which is related to my project and is helping shift the perspective of my central topic. The work I will do at 5th st. farm will more closely mirror the independent research I am conducting for the project. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Hi Kayvon! Sounds like you're having fun getting your project going. I think it'd be cool to see some pictures of the places you are working at like 5th St. Farm if that's at all possible. I really enjoy the personality and gifs you add to your blog and can't wait for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gillian! I am having a lot of fun and I will be sure to post many pictures when my work at 5th st. farm gets started. I'm glad you like the gifs and my take on the project and hope to keep the posts in the coming weeks as entertaining. Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Hey Kayvon! Seems like the project is going well. Its interesting to see your plan to track inner city STEM after school curriculars and getting a volunteer opportunity. Just a question, but how are you planning to track how many people attend the after school curricular and how many curriculars there are? Thank you. This is Ravi Patel in case my account doesn't show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ravi. To address your questions, I plan on tracking how many people attend the after school curricular by surveying the PTO that is in charge of the after school events. That would entail asking which courses have been taught, for how long, and how many people have attended. So essentially it will be done primarily through conversations with those involved in higher level positions, like teachers and overseeing parents, who understand the courses well. Thanks for the input!

      Delete
  11. Wow Kayvon!
    It is great to see that you are assimilating into the New York city life. Also, your progression through your first 2 weeks sounds really productive. I am glad to see you are getting ready to experience your first after school volunteering! I hope people show up to it, and continue on with the great work.
    Harrison Miao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Harrison! It truly has been a seamless progression from the suburban life of Scottsdale to the urban feel of New York City which I hope to keep productive through work at BlocPower. I too am excited about the school volunteering and hope people come and share the fervor I have for this topic. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Hey Garik! I was planning on talking with administrators (i.e. science teachers) and asking how after school programs have grown and if at all. Thanks for the input because I also think it will be beneficial to gauge interest for these programs through surveys (which I want to keep subtle and informal, so preferably in conversation). Thanks for the support and I too hope I will get sufficient data.

    ReplyDelete