Friday, March 3, 2017

Week 4

[insert code pun here] Week 4 has been a rollercoaster--but the good kind in every way.



To be honest from the get go I was slammed with assignments (as an intern I truly cannot complain about that) so I didn't have much time for research. Where to start...ah yes so on Wednesday I gave a much anticipated (not really) presentation on how to create a slack bot with python. For those of you who forgot what slack is, slack is simply a communication tool for workplace environments. What I presented on was how we can create our own tool for slack, specifically a bot. We want to make our bot fetch BlocPower documents like new employee forms within slack so that employees don't have to go through with the effort of finding them in places like the never ending pit of our google drive. I'm happy to say the presentation went well and I am now on the team for creating the bot (and I’ll be doing actual coding!). 


Anyways besides geeking out I also helped get some blog content out for our marketplace team. Similar to this blog, in my post I elaborated on what I'm doing for my senior research project (and explained what an SRP is as well) and how that relates to some of BlocPower's objectives in this iteration. The post I did for BlocPower is one of many that we hope to write in order to improve our search engine optimization (in the future other people from different departments will also write about their roles at BlocPower and why that is meaningful).

And then on a more personal note I just wanted to take time to appreciate what one of my coworkers did for me today. So essentially while I was fumbling with python tutorials online, one of the members on our tech team happened to notice my hilarious attempts at creating functions and string values. He ended up taking an hour out of his work schedule just to give me a background on the coding language and provide me with some key pointers and tips. I think that moment alone speaks volumes about how BlocPower has accepted me as a team member, (through meetings, presentations, etc.) so shout out to Adarsh for all the help! 


Anyways I wanted to keep this post short but sweet, and I hope I succeeded. Til’ next time dear readers.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like your internship experience has been amazing so far. It's great that they are incorporating you so fully into the company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gillian! The experience truly has been amazing and I am grateful for how involved I have been thus far. Thanks and look forward to your insight in the future!

      Delete
  2. Your project seems to be developing at a wonderful pace. I can't wait to hear what you get up to next week. Code-on Kayvon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dani! The pace has been great and I think I will include some pictures of my site to mix it up a bit in next week's post. Anyways thanks and I shall code on!

      Delete
  3. Wow Kayvon! You have truly made yourself an essential part of the company. The amount of work you have done is unreal. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Frida! I too hope to make an impact at BlocPower and glad you are enjoying the blog. Will be sure to keep you updated!

      Delete