Friday, March 31, 2017

Week 8

It’s been two months already? I just noticed that: that’s totally rad.



Ok I just wanted to start this post off by saying that some progress has been made in narrowing the focus of my central question for my presentation so here it is. Rather than exploring retrofits holistically I will specifically be looking at gardens (whether those are separate or rooftop) and examining how their implementation in urban schools (in inner cities) can enhance STEM education. Now you may be wondering why the switch? Well I’ll tell you hypothetical listener, because in exploring garden-based learning 1) there are much more case studies to work off of and 2) I can focus I much more interesting argument that can go as far as to include educational psychology (which I don't know if you all, but I certainly find interesting). Those questions will be answered with a number of sources which I will be sure to include when finishing up that up and coming PPT (what the cool kids say in reference to the old power point presentation). I hope that cleared up some confusion because I know last week I just threw down a bunch of questions and was like here are some musings I did not totally think about (though I nevertheless appreciated the feedback for that so thank you). 

Anyways moving on to what I did for BlocPower this week. So this week I finished implementing the folder structure in the wiki and then moved on to do that fun stuff I referenced a couple weeks ago which is called testing. To reiterate testing is simply executing a test plan which, not to include more quality assurance jargon, is a set of rules to ensure the user interface for an application is working smoothly.

Finally I just wanted to include a quick note on a project that BlocPower is currently doing in the Congo. To summarize, BlocPower is looking to provide loan management systems in the Congo, specifically for electricity in cities surrounding what is called Virunga National Park. The park is, wait for it, the second largest rainforest in the world and holds a dam that is already being used to process and generate electricity. I have no idea the timeline for the project but I thought this really innovative idea alone speaks volumes to the breadth of activity BlocPower covers as a company so just wanted to share.


Anyways, hope you all enjoy your weekend and will keep you all updated on any new findings soon!

18 comments:

  1. Hey,

    Thanks for sharing the advancement BlocPower is making. Looks like everything is going great, and good luck in your final few weeks! So crazy to think that we are already so close to the end.

    Thanks,
    Harrison Miao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Harrison! I know it is crazy, will be sure to keep my advancements fun and interesting. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hey Kayvon! Thanks for the information on the Congo, that was very interesting. Good luck with your power point and with the rest of your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michael! I know the Congo was somewhat of a non-sequitur but glad you enjoyed it regardless. Thanks and will upload my presentation soon!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kayvon! I like how you refined your main question for your presentation, it is more interesting! Also, BlocPower's project in the Congo seems really cool and helpful, especially since it is such a large area. Good luck on your PPT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Oscar! I would not say refined haha but thank you for that generous compliment. The questions in my powerpoint are a bit different so let me know what you think for Week 9's post!

      Delete
  4. Good luck for your presentation, Kayvon. Its really cool that you had to use computer science, marketing, and business skills in this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ahmad! I think the project has exposed me to multi-faceted elements I would not have been exposed to so I am really grateful in that regard. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Hey Kayvon! I think it was a good idea to focus your efforts into a specific area. The information on the Congo sounds interesting. Do you know if you will have any work relating to that? Also good luck on your PowerPoint presentation. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kirill. I too think specifying my focus will benefit me. In terms of work for the Congo, that is very preliminary steps as of now so I will not be able to work on that interesting project unfortunately. Anyways thanks and look forward to your input soon!

      Delete
  6. Sorry for being late, my internet was kinda screwed up so i couldn't log in. Anyways, thats cool that BlocPower is helping out in the Congo. Do they have projects in other parts of Africa or just there. Sorry again for the lateness, but I'm looking forward to next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jackson! Completely fine, and no there are no other projects in the Congo, although what is interesting about the country is that it has a dam that could power all of sub-saharan Africa if its power were harnessed which is really cool! No worries and look forward to reading your comments soon.

      Delete
  7. Hey Kayvon! This post really cleared up any confusions I had. It's really interesting how BlocPower is helping out in the Congo. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dani! Glad the post helped and will be sure to keep you posted on any new Congo/SRP related news. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Hi Kayvon! What do you mean when you say folder structure for the wiki? How was that implemented? I'm glad you've come up with a research question. I've been having some trouble with that myself. It's crazy to think that we've been doing this for two months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gillian! By folder structure I just meant how files and such were organized and it was implemented by me talking to departments (i.e. engineering) and seeing how they want to move their files into the wiki. It has been a crazy 2 months but look forward to presenting on this soon!

      Delete
  9. Hi Kayvon! I am glad you had a thoughtful week and were able to narrow down your question! I can't wait to hear more next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Frida! The question has been narrowed and the stage is set (hopefully). Will keep you posted when the presentation makes its long awaited arrival.

      Delete