Friday, April 7, 2017

Week 9

Oh snap. Week 9 is hereee! Wooo. Not that I'm excited, just surprised is all. Time flies when you're having a blast.


This week has been pretty busy if you ask me. The Senior Project slides are due the 13th and at the same time I've had to meet some deadlines this week for BlocPower so it's been filled with work, but it’s been productive. 


I think we will start with the slides and some SRP shenanigans right off the bat. So I am almost done with my slides and so far I did some more research into pilot studies, surveys, and theories (yes surprisingly enough garden theory is a thing). What I had some particular difficulty with was linking my work at BlocPower with my research because while BlocPower does do retrofits, gardens are not the same thing. So when going over my internship experience slide in my head, I decided I wanted to focus on some of the skills I gained from going to meetings and working on sprint teams which you guys will get a taste of if you check out my presentation in early May. I also have been finding interesting ways to communicate the different ways gardens can enhance education. Not to reveal any spoilers but gardens can improve aspects of a student’s learning experience from their interest in nutritional science to even their bonding to a school. However, this information has plenty of caveats because in my analysis of the ways garden-based education improves STEM I am unable to include relevant quantitative data, so my findings are based upon qualitative analyses (a source of error I have included in the powerpoint presentation). I feel like I have said too much already haha but I have to keep the audience somewhat (or not) intrigued.

In addition to that I did a lot of work for the wiki this week (while on the side pushing out some blog content--yay!). That has entailed speaking with the engineering and finance team at BlocPower and figuring out how they want to organize effectively (because currently they have terabytes of files and storage on their computers that need to be managed and moved over). I even made a “how to use wiki” tutorial video which ironically is only available to BlocPower employees through the wiki. 

Anyways thanks for hanging in there with me and here’s my reaction to the Manhattan skyline as well as some photos from where I work.


21 comments:

  1. Hope the PowerPoint slides are going well. It's awesome you included pictures this week (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gillian! Powerpoint slides went very well and look forward to your feedback soon. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hey Kayvon,

    Looks like your project is all going together. I am glad to see that your project has gone smoothly and you are having lots of fun in New York. Good luck for this week in your preparation for your slides.

    Thanks,
    Harrison Miao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Harrison! I certainly had a great time in New York and look forward to your comments about my slides. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Hey Kayvon. Congrats on almost finishing your project. It looks like your research was interesting and fun, and Blocpower seemed like an amazing experience. Good luck on your slides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ravi! Research certainly was all around rewarding, especially with a company as impactful as BlocPower so I have been very fortunate. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Hey Kayvon! Good job with almost finishing your slides! It seems like you've done a lot of work recently. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Oscar! The work certainly seems to be piling up but don't worry it has been completely manageable. Thanks and look forward to our feedback soon.

      Delete
  5. Hey Kayvon! Keep up the good work. I hope the end of your project goes by smoothly. May your future endeavours be just as great as this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kirill! The end of the project is going very well and I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Hey Kayvon! Congrats on finishing your slides and adding more information to the wiki. I can't wait to see your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michael! The presentation is up on my week 10 post so feel free to go check it out and leave comments. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Cool pics, Kayvon. Glad to see your project finally coming together. Good luck with your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ahmad! Glad you enjoyed the pictures and how I am tying up my experience here in New York. Look forward to your input on these next few posts!

      Delete
  8. Hey Kayvon! I'm glad that your slides are pretty much done. I can't wait to so the final presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jackson! Slides are done and on my week 10 post so go check them out if you are interested. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Hi Kayvon! Great pictures. I hope your presentation is great. Wow, so close to the finish line woo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dani! Time certainly did fly and look forward to receiving your feedback on those slides. Thanks!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi kayvon! Wow it seems like you have acquired some keen presentation skills and I can't wait to see them in action. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Frida! Would not say I acquired presentation skills but I can only hope for the best. Thanks and look forward to your feedback soon!

      Delete